Muay Thai is a combat sport of Thailand that uses stand-up striking along with various clinching techniques. This discipline is known as the "art of eight limbs", as it is characterised by the combined use of fists, elbows, knees and shins. Muay Thai became widespread internationally in the late 20th to 21st century, when Westernised practitioners from Thailand began competing in kickboxing and mixed-rules matches as well as matches under muay Thai rules around the world.
The origins of Muay Thai are not fully understood, but it is believed to have originated in the 18th century. The first written records of Muay Thai date back to the early 19th century, when it was described as a form of unarmed combat that was used by the Thai military.
Muay Thai is used for self-defense, competition, and mixed martial arts. It is a popular sport in Thailand, and there are many professional Muay Thai fighters from the country. Muay Thai is also practiced in other parts of the world, including Europe, North America, and South America.
Muay Thai is a traditional Thai martial art, and there are many traditions associated with it. One of the most important traditions is the Wai Kru, which is a ritual that is performed before each fight. The Wai Kru is a way of showing respect to the opponent and to the art of Muay Thai.
Another important tradition is the use of Muay Thai music. Muay Thai music is played during training and during fights. It is a way of motivating the fighters and of creating a festive atmosphere.
Famous Muay Thai Fighters
There are many famous Muay Thai fighters, both past and present. Some of the most famous Muay Thai fighters include:
* Samart Payakaroon: Samart Payakaroon is considered one of the greatest Muay Thai fighters of all time. He won the World Muay Thai Championship eight times and is known for his technical skills and his ability to control the fight.
* Buakaw Banchamek: Buakaw Banchamek is a current Muay Thai fighter who is considered one of the best in the world. He is known for his powerful kicks and his ability to finish fights.
* Saenchai Sor Kingstar: Saenchai Sor Kingstar is a current Muay Thai fighter who is considered one of the best in the world. He is known for his technical skills and his ability to control the fight.
* Yodsanklai Fairtex: Yodsanklai Fairtex is a current Muay Thai fighter who is considered one of the best in the world. He is known for his powerful kicks and his ability to finish fights.
* Petr Yan: Petr Yan is a current mixed martial artist who is known for his Muay Thai skills. He is the former UFC Bantamweight Champion and is considered one of the best fighters in the world.